Saturday, July 30, 2011

No way I could match Vettel

Mark Webber has admitted there is no way he could have matched Red Bull team-mate Sebastian Vettel at the Hungaroring during Saturday's qualifying session.

Webber could only manage the sixth fastest time in the third qualifying session, over 0.6s off Vettel who took pole position by just over a tenth from Lewis Hamilton. But Webber said he simply couldn't get the same kind of performance from the supersoft Pirelli tyres.

"There's no way I could do that lap time, absolutely no way," he told BBC Sport. "I did my best and we had a few KERS issues in the middle of the session, but we had it back for the last run. In the end the 1:19s is a different zone to me so.

"It's strange and obviously there were a few [others] as Fernando [Alonso] didn't have the best day either. It's sensitive, you can see how sensitive the tyres are and today I didn't extract enough from them to be further up the grid."

Vettel praised the work of his mechanics overnight which worked on both cars to try to find the optimum setup for Saturday's qualifying. But Webber said he was lacking overall grip and it was not a setup issue that had held him back.

"It felt OK in terms of balance, it's just that if you have a gap of 0.6s it's obviously just overall grip," he added. "I need to look through it obviously, but it's a big step compared to the last few races so I need to analyse it."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPNF1 Staff

  • Email
  • Feedback
  • Print
Email

No comments:

Post a Comment