Saturday, July 30, 2011

Hamilton wants 'really good points'

Lewis Hamilton says he "can collect some really good points" having qualified second for the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Hamilton was quickest in both Friday practice sessions and looked set for pole position during qualifying having set the fastest time on the first runs in Q3. However, Sebastian Vettel beat the McLaren on his final flying lap while Hamilton couldn't improve; with his team-mate Jenson Button clocking a time just 0.1s slower than Hamilton's to take third place.

Hamilton said he wasn't disappointed with the result however, and that he felt both McLaren drivers were in position to score substantial points if their pace from the Nurburgring was anything to go by.

"I still think it's a great achievement for us," Hamilton said. "We knew obviously from the previous race that we had good pace, and yesterday was a good day. Today they seemed to pick up a little bit of pace, and to still be on the front row, for both me and Jenson I think it was a good job by us so I'm quite happy I think we can collect some really good points from here.

"It's great to see the team with both cars on the front two rows - it's a sign that there's real pace here now. Everyone in the team is doing a fantastic job and we were genuinely competitive today. At one stage during Q3 I was up: I had half a tenth in reserve. But then I went a little bit wide, which triggered a big oversteer moment, and the result was that I lost that crucial bit of time. But the points aren't given out for today, and I'm feeling good about tomorrow."

Hamilton also said that the long run pace he had shown during practice on Friday gave him reason to be hopeful for the race.

"I'm very excited about the race, in fact, because we had quite a good long run yesterday and we'll work hard to build on that pace overnight and take it into tomorrow. We're in the fight - and, with a good start, we can definitely challenge for the win."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPNF1 Staff

  • Email
  • Feedback
  • Print
Email

No comments:

Post a Comment