Saturday, July 30, 2011

Massa pleased to outqualify Alonso at last

Felipe Massa said he was pleased to outqualify his team-mate Fernando Alonso for the first time this season and is hoping to be just as competitive in Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix.

Massa pipped Alonso to fourth by just 0.015s in qualifying, after three difficult practice sessions in which he struggled to find a balance and failed to set a clean lap on the supersoft tyres.

"Again this morning, I had too much oversteer and then, after making a few changes, it ended up the other way: we made a further adjustment to the front wing and the car's handling was much better. It's difficult to predict how many stops there will be: four is not impossible, three absolutely probable. Much will depend on the length of the first stint: that's where it will be clear which way to go for the following stops. What does it mean to me to be ahead of my team-mate for the first time this year? I am pleased, but what counts is being ahead of everyone and I hope we soon get some qualifying sessions where we are the best.

"Here I don't think I could have got under the 1:20s mark: McLaren and Red Bull are very strong and will be so tomorrow. My only complaint is starting from the dirty side of the track: I know how penalising it can be at this track."

Ferrari's race pace has been good at the last two grands prix and Massa is hoping that will translate into a good result on Sunday.

"Usually our rivals find something extra for qualifying and we make a step forward in the race: we will see tomorrow if this unwritten rule will also be confirmed at this track," he said. "I hope I have a car that is competitive, as it was in the final part of qualifying."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPNF1 Staff

  • Email
  • Feedback
  • Print
Email

No comments:

Post a Comment