Thursday, July 28, 2011

Liuzzi to race V8 Supercar

Tonio Liuzzi has confirmed that he will race a V8 Supercar in the Gold Coast 600 at Surfers Paradise in October.

The race at Surfers Paradise takes place from October 21-23, with a test day on October 19, and Liuzzi will driver a Wilson Securities Falcon alongside Tony D'Alberto. The street circuit round consists of four races - two on the Saturday and two on the Sunday - with a number of ex-Formula One drivers competing. Liuzzi, however, is the first current driver to confirm his participation, and he said he had been impressed by the V8's since the season-opening grand prix in Melbourne this year.

"I had a good look at the TDR car when I was at the Australian Grand Prix earlier in the year and I was really impressed," Liuzzi said. "There isn't much difference in size between myself and Tony and our seat position should be comfortable together. We will be a good team.

"I don't think it will take me long to adapt to the car. The one-day testing before will be good. I have experience with powerful saloon cars and I really enjoy driving them. I see the V8 Supercars being very similar."

With the race falling between the Korean and Indian grands prix, Liuzzi will only have the test day to prepare, and he admitted more running would have been preferable.

"After finding out that I was coming to Australia to race, I have followed the V8 Supercars a little closer. It looks like very exciting, close racing. The test that we'll do beforehand will be very important. I would like to do more time in the car, but I guess it's the same for everyone."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPNF1 Staff

  • Email
  • Feedback
  • Print
Email

No comments:

Post a Comment