Sunday, May 29, 2011

Petrov cleared of serious injuries after crash

Vitaly Petrov has been cleared of any serious injuries after a crash during the Monaco Grand Prix.

Petrov ran in to the barriers at the swimming pool chicane as he attempted to avoid a collision between Lewis Hamilton and Jaime Alguersuari in front of him. The Renault hit the barrier at a relatively low speed but quite a harsh angle, and the race was red flagged as Petrov had to be removed from the car by medics as he complained of pain in his ankle.

His Renault team confirmed after the race that Petrov had been checked over and that no injuries had been discovered.

"After his crash during the Monaco GP this afternoon, Vitaly complained about his left ankle to the medical crew, so doctors drove him to the Princess Grace hospital for further checks," a Renault statement said. "No fracture had been diagnosed at the circuit. Once at hospital, it was confirmed that there was no swelling or broken bone. As a precaution, Vitaly will undergo a full body scan but he should be back in the paddock within a few hours."

Petrov added: "First of all, I would like to thank all my fans for all their well wishes, the medical teams at the circuit, the hospital for their efficient and friendly assistance, and the team for their concern. It was quite a big impact and I could not feel my legs very well after the crash. I thought it was best for the medical team to assist with removing me from the car as it was difficult for me to move and my legs were trapped in the cockpit. I did not lose consciousness but I was in quite a lot of pain when I was inside the car.

"It is a shame as I made a good start, gaining two places straight away. After my pitstop, I was stuck behind Kamui Kobayashi - who was very slow- and Adrian Sutil -who was defending his position really too agressively- but I was being cautious as it is very difficult to pass on this track. Then I got caught in the incident. It is a shame, as we could have got quite a few points this weekend."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPNF1 Staff

  • Email
  • Feedback
  • Print
Email

No comments:

Post a Comment