Saturday, May 28, 2011

Button blames tyre temperature

Jenson Button said that he and Lewis Hamilton were unable to improve during the final runs of qualifying because of a lack of tyre temperature.

Button had set the provisional pole time before Sebastian Vettel went 0.4s quicker in the final qualifying session. Sergio Perez crashed heavily with just 2m26s remaining though, bringing out the red flags and leaving time for only one flying lap. McLaren sent both of its drivers to wait at the end of the pit lane to make sure it had track position, but Button said that he was unable to get the tyres to work after such a delay.

"It was very slippery, but we wanted to get out early to really push on the out-lap and there wasn't any tyre temperature because we'd been sat at the end of the pit lane for two and a half minutes," Button said. "So it wasn't the best but the great thing I was I put in a good lap at the start of the session, a lap I was very happy with. It was much better than my Q2 lap."

"I think we'll see a different Monaco Grand Prix from what we usually see - strategy will be important, and I think it will make the race more exciting than normal because we should be able to push for victory despite not starting from pole. Our car feels good here, and that's given me a lot of confidence: I'll be pushing in the race tomorrow."

Button wished Perez well after his accident, and referred to his own crash in 2003 which caused him to miss the race.

"I'd just also like to say it's great that Sergio is talking and ok. I think I was the last person to go in there (the barrier at the exit of the tunnel) in 2003 and I know how much it hurts, so it's never nice to see that sort of thing. I hope he's ok, I'm not sure he'll be racing tomorrow but hopefully he'll get well soon."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPNF1 Staff

  • Email
  • Feedback
  • Print
Email

No comments:

Post a Comment