Monday, January 31, 2011

Perez ready to prove himself

Sergio Perez insists he is only focused on his first season with Sauber and not thinking about where his place on the Ferrari Driver Academy (FDA) might take him in the future.

After finishing second in the GP2 Series last season, Perez will compete in his debut season with Sauber this year. He comes to the team with backing from Mexican communications giant Telmex, but, speaking at Sauber's launch, he revealed he is not paying for his role on the FDA.

When asked if he had aspirations of driving for Ferrari in the future, Perez said he had to prove himself at Sauber first: "I have to think in the present and the present for me is only Sauber. I have to do well to keep growing up in Formula One, for the future I don't know what is going to happen. Obviously the dream is to drive one day for Ferrari, but right now I'm at Sauber and that's where my first season is, so I'm looking forward to this."

Perez has had some access to the Ferrari simulator over the winter and said he had tried practicing with a moveable rear wing, which is new for 2011 and designed to improve overtaking.

"I tried this, it's very challenging and very difficult to adapt to," he admitted. "It's completely new for me. Experienced drivers have complained about this and it's entirely new for me. It's going to be very tricky but I hope I can manage this well."

When asked if he is feeling the pressure of racing with the hopes of his native Mexico resting on his shoulders, Perez said: "I feel it's extra motivation instead of pressure," he said. "In Formula One you have lots of pressure, I'm sure, as I've had in all of my career, but to now have this kind of support from my country is a big thing for myself and to do big things for my country, I'm very happy."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPNF1 Staff

  • Email
  • Feedback
  • Print
Email

No comments:

Post a Comment