Monday, January 24, 2011

Chandhok closing on Lotus reserve drive

Karun Chandhok says he is close to securing a reserve driver role at Lotus for the upcoming season, which could see him test the car on the Friday mornings of grand prix weekends.

Chandhok raced in ten grands prix for HRT in his debut season last year, before making way for Sakon Yamamoto who was bringing fresh sponsorship to the team. He has been linked to both Lotus and Force India in the off season, but his chances of landing a drive at the latter have been all but ruled out.

Chandhok has now revealed that he is looking for a long-term deal with a team and believes Lotus, which is owned by Malaysian Tony Fernandes, is the perfect fit.

"I think it will be a step up," he told the Deccan Herald. "By racing last year I have got a foot in the door and now I don't need to look for that anymore. I like the idea of building an Asian team with Asian drivers, mechanics, engineers, PR and marketing people.

"It [F1] is dominated by the West so far. We have the brain power but not experience. I just want to show Asia is capable. Tony Fernandes is trying hard and that's what he has done with his Air Asia [brand] as well."

He warned that the deal is not yet signed and that he is facing stiff competition for the role.

"Nothing is final until you have a contract in your hands," Chandhok said. "Either you have it or not. It will take about two to three weeks to know. They're maybe talking to 20 more guys other than me."

He added that he is looking for a two-to-three year contract with the team.

"I have earned the respect of people who said I did well in difficult circumstances [at HRT]. I am looking at a long-term goal not only for 2011 but for 2012 as well. I will get to learn even if I just drive on Fridays. That's what Paul di Resta did for Force India. Stability is a must in F1 like in any other sport."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPNF1 Staff

  • Email
  • Feedback
  • Print
Email

No comments:

Post a Comment