Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Barrichello 'cool' amid rumours he will be replaced

Rubens Barrichello insists his 2012 contract negotiations with Williams are "moving" and says he is trying not to be distracted by rumours suggesting he will be replaced.

Kimi Raikkonen and Adrian Sutil are among the drivers who have been linked to his seat next year, amid speculation that Williams is looking for a driver who can either attract sponsorship or bring money to the team. Barrichello has made clear that he wants to continue at Williams next year, but the team has remained quiet on the issue and refused to comment on Raikkonen and Sutil visiting the factory in recent weeks.

"It's moving," Barrichello said when asked by GP Week about his negotiations for next year, "but right now is the rumour time and my Twitter is just crazy with people saying things. I can't rely on other information and other drivers, I just rely on my information. Whenever I meet my family they ask me crazy things that they read in the press, unfortunately. To say something now is just going to cause more fuss. I'm not in that moment yet."

Despite a tough year with just four points to his name, Barrichello insists he can offer stability as the team enters a transition period with new technical staff taking over the role left by outgoing technical director Sam Michael.

"I'm better prepared than at any other time," he said. "Unfortunately Williams haven't given me a good car yet. But moving forward means we should stick together and race with a better car next year. The fewer changes you make on the driver side the better the continuity, and I think a good example of that is Ferrari. I'm cool. I've had a fantastic 19 years and I want to do the 20th. If everything goes well I will do my 20th."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPNF1 Staff

  • Email
  • Feedback
  • Print
Email

No comments:

Post a Comment