Wednesday, December 29, 2010

'No chance' of F1 return

NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya has ruled out the possibility of returning to Formula One in the future.

Montoya left F1 in 2006 after a difficult season with McLaren and made the switch to NASCAR where he now races for Target-sponsored Chip Ganassi entry.

"Some people tell me I should go back to F1, but I'm happy," the 35-year-old, who made his F1 debut for Williams in 2001, told prensa.com. "I think it is clear that there is no chance of going the other way at the moment."

In 2010, Montoya failed to finish among the top 12 Sprint Cup contenders; a system for deciding the series champion known as The Chase.

"At this moment I am happy, my sponsor is happy and Chip Ganassi is happy and that's all I care about," he insisted before adding that NASCAR is "more fun" than F1. "I saw the (Abu Dhabi) finale this year and it's like it has been all the time -- one car is a second faster than another but he cannot pass. They say the problem is the tracks but honestly F1 has always been the same."

Montoya said he thinks F1's new champion Sebastian Vettel deserves the title.

"He's got talent even though he did everything possible not to win it," Montoya said. "He and his team made many mistakes that made it very complicated for them, but I think the fastest driver and car won."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPNF1 Staff

  • Email
  • Feedback
  • Print
Email

No comments:

Post a Comment