Friday, December 17, 2010

Ecclestone ups stake in QPR

Bernie Ecclestone has increased his stake in Queens Park Rangers Football Club, reportedly buying shares from fellow owner Flavio Briatore.

It had been reported that both Briatore and Ecclestone were keen to sell up, with Force India boss Vijay Mallya set to step in. But British newspapers quote Ecclestone as confirming that he has increased his stake to more than 60%.

"I haven't bought the club to see my name in the papers, I have bought it to support [QPR manager] Neil [Warnock]," the Daily Star quotes Ecclestone as saying. "Neil tells us how to kick the ball and now our aim is the Premier League."

The Mirror said the club's ex-chairman Briatore still holds a nominal shareholding.

"I now own about 62% of the club," Ecclestone added. "I'm not thinking about competing with Manchester United or Arsenal. It is just something that I enjoy doing and we will just see what happens."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPNF1 Staff

  • Email
  • Feedback
  • Print
Email

No comments:

Post a Comment