Monday, June 27, 2011

Webber takes blame for missing out on second

Mark Webber said he was to blame for missing out on second place at the European Grand Prix to Ferrari's Fernando Alonso.

Webber had a race long battle with Alonso but came out of the final pit stops in third. He led the Ferrari ahead of that stop, but by changing to the slower prime tyres he lost out to Alonso who was on an old set of options.

"I was very happy with how the race was going until the last stop, and it was my fault basically, not the teams'," he said. "I was worried about Fernando coming in beneath me at the final stops as it was not really known how the medium tyre would perform on the out lap. For sure it's not as good as the soft, but whether it would be better than an old soft was the risk that I decided to take.

"I lost out, Fernando stayed out for a few laps and also I got stuck in a bit of traffic. So it was my fault we missed second today, but Fernando drove a good race and all three of us were nip and tuck until the end."

He said it had been one of his better races of the year as he was much closer to Vettel.

"I think we should have, but in the end we didn't," he added. "I think it was one of my best races of the year to be honest. Up until the last pit stop it was quite close between all three of us. Obviously we were trying to go as fast as possible while managing the tyres at the same time - it's always the same these days."

Webber then had a gearbox problem at the end of the race, which saw him drop off the pace of Alonso.

"At the end the gearbox was playing up so we had to back right off," he said. "We had a massive gap to McLaren, they were about one sector behind, if not two, so we could just cruise to the end and look after the gearbox."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPNF1 Staff

  • Email
  • Feedback
  • Print
Email

No comments:

Post a Comment