Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Same mindset for Button

Jenson Button says his dramatic last lap victory in Canada will not affect his driving in the European Grand Prix.

Button was running last with 30 laps remaining in Montreal, but produced a stunning drive through the field to eventually pressure race leader Sebastian Vettel in to a mistake just half a lap from the chequered flag. Button said that while he'd been delighted with the win, it wasn't going to have an effect on his driving or confidence.

"It won't change anything, the way I drive, the way I work with the team. I've been very happy all season," Button said. "It's not going to make me a better driver - I'm not saying I'm a perfect driver - but I don't think I will suddenly become any more confident. That happened two years ago after I won the world title. The only thing I can say is that I've smiled to myself a lot more after the victory."

With Vettel now having a 60 point lead over second-placed Button in the drivers' championship, the chasing pack will be hoping the engine mapping restrictions and impending off-throttle diffuser ban impact Red Bull. Button, however, said he didn't know if it would play in to McLaren's hands but that he was confident it would have the race pace to challenge for victories.

"There's a lot happening this year in terms of the regulations. It could go our way, it might not, we'll have to see. Qualifying is still not there for us, but in the race we can race anyone wherever we go."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPNF1 Staff

  • Email
  • Feedback
  • Print
Email

No comments:

Post a Comment