Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Webber mystified by lack of pace

Mark Webber was at a loss to explain why he was so far off the pace at the German Grand Prix after finishing eighth at Hockenheim on Sunday.

Webber, who won the previous race in Britain, qualified third at Hockenheim but started eighth due to a gearbox-change penalty. He gained a place at the start but couldn't match the pace of the front runners and eventually dropped back to eighth after his final pit stop.

"I had no pace today and wasn't quick," he said. "I couldn't stay with people that I normally can, so we'll look into it and come back in Budapest. I'm disappointed, as I expected to get more out of today's race. Normally Sundays have been okay for me, but not today. After the first lap it wasn't too bad, I got Lewis, but after that I was just hanging on. This is a completely different track [to Silverstone], but we have to be quick in all conditions and today we weren't for whatever reason."

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said Red Bull pitted Webber a little earlier in the hope of getting him further up the field, but admitted it might not have paid off.

"Mark's afternoon was always compromised by the gearbox penalty he had yesterday. We were aggressive at the first stop; it didn't work out as we hoped and he seemed to struggle a bit with the long run pace on the harder tyre today with Mark. I think that possibly the lack of running on Friday and key set-up time cost us there."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

  • Email
  • Feedback
  • Print
Email

No comments:

Post a Comment