Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Penalty demotes Vettel to fifth

Sebastian Vettel has been demoted to fifth place at the German Grand Prix after being given a post-race penalty for overtaking Jenson Button while off the circuit.

On the penultimate lap Vettel passed Button on the exit of the turn six hairpin by running over the kerb and off the track. At the time Button radioed his team to flag the incident and the FIA confirmed that it would be investigated.

Roughly two hours after the race the stewards confirmed that Vettel had been given a 20-second post-race penalty in lieu of a drive-through. As a result Button was promoted to second, Kimi Raikkonen to third and Kamui Kobayashi to fourth.

Before he had been given his penalty Vettel defended the move: "I think clearly it's not an advantage if you try to accelerate on the paint rather than on the circuit. So as I said the only intention was not to crash and to give him enough room. I had the nose, I was a little bit in front because I was braking later and then I was pretty sure he was not giving up like that!"

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPN Staff

  • Email
  • Feedback
  • Print
Email

No comments:

Post a Comment