Sunday, February 27, 2011

Huge turnout as Perez takes his Sauber onto the streets

Huge crowds estimated at around 200,000 lined the streets in the Sergio Perez's home town of Guadalajara as he gave a demonstration of the new Sauber to an adoring public.

Perez went up and down the 1.5 kilometre course on closed public roads a total of eight times in a C29, doing 'donuts' and getting the tyres to smoke.

"This was one of the best days of my life", said Perez after giving dozens of interviews and signing countless autographs. "It was a great, great experience. I have never experienced something like this before with so many people cheering me. I'm proud to be Mexican, and I'm proud to receive all this support. It is a big boost for me ahead of the new season."

"It was an enormous event with unbelievable enthusiasm", said Beat Zehnder, the team's manager."What the state of Jalisco managed to put on within a very short space of time was one of the greatest F1 road shows I have ever looked after."

In glorious sunshine, the programme was rounded off by a NASCAR show, which also involved Sergio's brother Antonio Perez, bike shows and parades involving the police and vintage cars.

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPNF1 Staff

  • Email
  • Feedback
  • Print
Email

No comments:

Post a Comment