Saturday, March 26, 2011

Mark Webber mystified with gap

Mark Webber has said he will have to analyse his own performance after being comprehensively outpaced by Sebastian Vettel during qualifying for the Australian Grand Prix.

Webber's lap was over eight tenths slower than team-mate Vettel's pole time, as Lewis Hamilton also managed to get in front of the Australian. Although praising Vettel's lap, Webber said he was unsure where the gap had come from.

"I couldn't do the times today," Webber said. "I was disappointed obviously with my performance. Seb put in a very good lap, obviously [I'm] disappointed to get bumped off the front row as well. I tried my best. A little bit mystified as to the gap to Seb to be honest, but I'll have to go through it and have a look at where I can improve and go from there."

Despite his own disappointment, Webber paid tribute to the Red Bull team for providing him with a fast and reliable car, and for securing pole position at his home grand prix.

"A bit frustrating of course but credit to the team, the guys have done an incredible job. Obviously it's not the best day for me but the bar is high so I would have like to have done better today but you still have to reflect on the performance of the team today and what they've done over the winter. It's a great effort."

Team principal Christian Horner agreed that it had been "a great team performance", and was happy to have his cars both starting from the cleaner side of the grid.

"First and third for the first grand prix of 2011 is a very good start," Horner said. "Sebastian produced two stunning laps. Mark just lost out on the last run by less than a tenth to Lewis, but first and third on the clean side of the grid is a good place to be starting tomorrow's grand prix. It should be a fascinating race tomorrow, especially with the new regulations."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPNF1 Staff

  • Email
  • Feedback
  • Print
Email

No comments:

Post a Comment