Thursday, April 21, 2011

'We learn together'

Nico Rosberg has said that there is no-one to blame for the fuel miscalculation which hampered his chances of victory in the Chinese Grand Prix.

Rosberg led a large portion of the race early on having stopped for fresh tyres before any of the other front runners. He was unable to maintain his challenge though, as he was forced to conserve fuel due to Mercedes underestimating how much fuel he would need as it didn't expect to compete at such a high pace. Despite being initially unhappy, Rosberg said no-one could be held responsible.

"The race on Sunday really was one of the most exciting Grands Prix that I've ever driven," Rosberg said. "It took some time after the race to let everything sink in because I had high hopes for a good podium result, and I had led for a quarter of the race. However I can't blame anybody in the team for having been short on fuel, it's a lesson that we learn together."

Having been initially off the pace this season, China was an improvement for Mercedes, and Rosberg said the team should be happy with how it has progressed.

"We have to be happy that we made a step forward in China which was achieved by everyone in the team working extremely hard. My attitude is always that we win together and we lose together as one team. Who would have thought before the Chinese Grand Prix that I would lead the race? That was fantastic and to be competing at the front of the field was a great feeling for me and everybody in the team."

With a three week break until the start of the European season in Turkey, Rosberg says he will be recuperating and working on his fitness before looking to improve the W02 even further.

"The first thing is to spend time with my family, my girlfriend and my friends over Easter in the south of France. I'm planning to do a sprint distance triathlon on the Promenade in Nice with some friends on Easter Sunday, and I'm really looking forward to that. It was difficult to do regular training in Shanghai on top of the race weekend commitments but I managed to squeeze some preparations in, so I should be well prepared.

After the Easter weekend, I will be visiting the factory in Brackley to meet with the team and have a look at what we have learned in the first three races, and what we can do before the European season gets underway. We all want to make further improvements and we're working really hard to achieve this. There's a positive feeling at the team and I'm highly motivated."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPNF1 Staff

  • Email
  • Feedback
  • Print
Email

No comments:

Post a Comment