Saturday, August 27, 2011

Button frustrated at qualifying 'misunderstanding'

Jenson Button admitted he made a mistake in not realising he had run out of laps after failing to make it into Q3.

Button will line up in 13th place for Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix after a 'misunderstanding' saw him run out of time when he believed he had one more flying lap remaining.

"It was a misunderstanding," said Button. "I obviously did my first lap then I cooled my tyres not knowing I didn't have any laps left and obviously the track is getting dryer and dryer every lap and there were so many cars out there. I think I was second quickest or third quickest when I did my lap and I didn't get an opportunity to do another lap so, wow, that's massively disappointing and a big shock because obviously in Q1 I was a second quicker than anyone. So it was a misunderstanding and a mistake on our part."

With dry weather predicted for Sunday's race, Button said he expects McLaren to be in with a good chance of victory although it is now more likely to be down to team-mate Lewis Hamilton who is second on the grid.

"I was going to have a completely dry set up. Our car is very quick around here and in every practice session we've had so far we've been in the top three so it's been very competitive and when we've been on the circuit we've been the quickest. So tough being back in 13th but we've got to deal with it now."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.

Feeds Feeds: ESPNF1 Staff

  • Email
  • Feedback
  • Print
Email

No comments:

Post a Comment